Skip to main content

Words That Hurt

Frequently we find ourselves going through life on what could be considered autopilot. We become too consumed in our own thoughts, not that focusing on ourself is negative, but we tend to engulf ourselves in our own conundrums and internal conflicts. This causes us to pull the blinds down over others which are also faced with the same worries and thoughts. We forget that others have the same emotions, and no matter the severity, we should treat them with the same tenderness we treat ourselves. Every person is and feels differently than the next, meaning some may handle their emotions differently, taking what may seem minuet to you a bit more personally and on a different level of consciousness. 

Some could argue, "we should never take anything personally." But what about those of us who are still working on that trait? Personally, I have read and scanned through The Four Agreements  multiple times, the second agreement being, 'Don't Take Anything Personally.' However, this is much easier said than done. There are a select few types of personalities that can bring me to tears within a matter of seconds. And being a restaurant server, I have witnessed a multitude of personality types-- too many. 

Think about a time where you may have snapped at someone. Of course, you did not intentionally mean to hurt this persons feelings, and I'm sure you didn't realize the effect it actually had on them. You continued moving on throughout your day, while this person may have been hurt and whether they choose to or not, they continue to think of your chosen words. It hurt. What if what you said was something they already battle with themselves internally? You just poked an already open wound. Sure, you didn't think what you said was that hurtful, but what isn't hurtful to you is different to another. Now, reverse the situation. Can you recall a time someone has snapped at you or said something painful? Or gossiped or said something untrue about you? Causing you to mull on it, over and over until it brings you down completely? We've all been there. Recently, there has become an awareness of teen/early adult suicide, which has increased at an alarming rate-- all a result of bullying. 

I'm not stating that by snapping at someone makes you a bully, but consider the fact that it may have been the straw that broke the camels back, for that person. The person you just snapped at, although a smile is present on their face, just lost their job, a family member, is battling with depression, etc. What I'm trying to express is to be more mindful of the things you say to people. Remember what your parents used to say and treat people the way you'd like to be treated. I understand if you're upset with someone because of a mistake they made or something they may have done to set you off. But please keep in mind, we all make mistakes. We are human. Although some mistakes are more serious than others, each of us learns from them. We ARE human. How else would we become the person we aspire to be without first falling down? We need the lows to appreciate the highs. And if we're all a bit more attentive to the emotional needs of others, the lows won't be so bad-- we'll have each other to lean on and to help us back up. You're never alone. Today, choose to say something nice to someone and make their day. Smile at a stranger or help someone in need. And I'm sure, next time you're the one who's down, there will be someone there to help pick you back up. 

Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more. I wish people would just calm down, think, and be nice. Happiness is the result.
    Think before you speak; this would be a huge help for many people. Although, I don't believe this is possible for some people. Think of it a mental spectrum, with "mean" on one end and "nice" on the other. Its just not in the cards for some. Some care about how they affect other and some people don't. This is why there are good people and bad people.. nice/mean..+/-..god/devil. The duality of everything. I think people are basically good, but the few bad cause all the problems.
    We can only control how we react to what people say. I get the "don't take it personally" Just wish i could put that one to more use!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Do You Want To Be?

I've watched and read in books or movies where someone doesn't like a certain part of their personality or something in their life, wakes up one morning and says, "I don't like this, I'm not going to do it anymore." The story line goes on to say how their views have changed overnight and they're no longer the way that they once were. It's a huge deal because they've changed so dramatically. For example, someone doesn't like their eating habits, therefore they tell themselves, "I'm going to eat healthier and workout 6 days a week." Overnight they turn into Jillian Michaels from 'The Biggest Loser,' and are participating in triathlons twice a week.   Realistically, this does not happen. I personally have had multiple epiphanies in my life where I feel as if my whole world is going to change and I feel like I've finally found my niche (after all, I've changed my college major three times). I do believe that

Where the Sidewalk Ends and the Road Begins

I was 6 years old and my dad threw his arms in the air, yelling (what should have been singing) "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by George Strait, while in the middle of the bathing suit isle in Wal-mart. How I remember this, I could not tell you. But, that song has such an important place in my heart and brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. It doesn't have somber lyrics and isn't about a love story; it's just a memory that really hits home. He used to sing it to me all the time (mostly just to embarrass me in public places). He was an incredible man who danced to the beat of his own drum. As an only child you can assume that I was a daddy's girl and couldn't get enough of his attention. Although I was his little girl, we wrestled as if I were a boy fighting for the t.v remote. I used to go to school with bruises on my arms from our wrestling matches and basketball games. Teachers and friends would ask me what happened, and as if it were normal

And You Get Tomatoes

[I ’ve been out of sorts – I’ve stretched myself too thin] Earlier this week, an older gentleman stopped into my office. After their meeting while waiting for his colleague to follow him out, he and I began a simple conversation to pass the time. He spoke of his wife of 30 years and his daughter who lives in Seattle. Both of his girls enjoy gardening; tomatoes, which he doesn’t much care for, but for them, acts as if he does.  I made a comment regarding advice I’d been given, “gardening is cheaper than therapy.” The latter part of that quote would be, “and you get tomatoes.” He boomed with laughter – the kind that touches your soul and splashes around in the river that flows through your body. Upon gathering himself he said, “Therapy! That’s understandable. My girls sure need it sometimes, but boy, even when they're crazy, what fun they are to be around." With each description his face would light up. The way he spoke and his verbal illustrations were hitting me with