Skip to main content

See More Through Blinded Eyes


“There is no such thing as a 'self-made' man. We are made up of thousands of others. Everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make-up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.” - George Burton Adams


Driving to work one morning this week, the sunlight was so bright that I could hardly see three feet out of the windshield. The moisture from the night blanketed my car and reflected the almost blinding sun all throughout the interior. I felt my eyes shift to the vehicle in front of me, using it for guidance. I watched its patterns, motion, speed, and I mimicked it. I felt a sudden connection come over me, as I began to realize that the line of traffic ahead of me awaiting to pull onto the highway, all did the same as myself. Each car seemed aligned to the other; relying on each other to get them where they needed to be safely. 

Inside of our vehicles we feel isolated, like it's our own personal bubble. The grander picture at this moment was so apparent, it was overwhelming-- Whether we realize it or not, we are all one. We try desperately to stand strong individually, because all of our lives we've been told to do so. In the most unnoticeable moments, and our weakest, we stand strong together; not alone. This is forgotten through rage, jealously, impatience; all of the negative human emotions. At times it almost feels easier to ignore the bliss of connection and alter it with isolation. However, the genuine feeling of togetherness is the most natural and blissful feeling I've ever experienced. We all share the same roads, the same oxygen-- When exhaling into the wind, we spread a piece of ourselves into the universe. When there are times you feel alone, remind yourself that there is a deeper connection than the eye can see. Life's problems can be blinding-- But you're never alone. And if we can accept that, we could possibly bring this life more peace and create a more enjoyable atmosphere around us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do You Want To Be?

I've watched and read in books or movies where someone doesn't like a certain part of their personality or something in their life, wakes up one morning and says, "I don't like this, I'm not going to do it anymore." The story line goes on to say how their views have changed overnight and they're no longer the way that they once were. It's a huge deal because they've changed so dramatically. For example, someone doesn't like their eating habits, therefore they tell themselves, "I'm going to eat healthier and workout 6 days a week." Overnight they turn into Jillian Michaels from 'The Biggest Loser,' and are participating in triathlons twice a week.   Realistically, this does not happen. I personally have had multiple epiphanies in my life where I feel as if my whole world is going to change and I feel like I've finally found my niche (after all, I've changed my college major three times). I do believe that

Where the Sidewalk Ends and the Road Begins

I was 6 years old and my dad threw his arms in the air, yelling (what should have been singing) "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by George Strait, while in the middle of the bathing suit isle in Wal-mart. How I remember this, I could not tell you. But, that song has such an important place in my heart and brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. It doesn't have somber lyrics and isn't about a love story; it's just a memory that really hits home. He used to sing it to me all the time (mostly just to embarrass me in public places). He was an incredible man who danced to the beat of his own drum. As an only child you can assume that I was a daddy's girl and couldn't get enough of his attention. Although I was his little girl, we wrestled as if I were a boy fighting for the t.v remote. I used to go to school with bruises on my arms from our wrestling matches and basketball games. Teachers and friends would ask me what happened, and as if it were normal

And You Get Tomatoes

[I ’ve been out of sorts – I’ve stretched myself too thin] Earlier this week, an older gentleman stopped into my office. After their meeting while waiting for his colleague to follow him out, he and I began a simple conversation to pass the time. He spoke of his wife of 30 years and his daughter who lives in Seattle. Both of his girls enjoy gardening; tomatoes, which he doesn’t much care for, but for them, acts as if he does.  I made a comment regarding advice I’d been given, “gardening is cheaper than therapy.” The latter part of that quote would be, “and you get tomatoes.” He boomed with laughter – the kind that touches your soul and splashes around in the river that flows through your body. Upon gathering himself he said, “Therapy! That’s understandable. My girls sure need it sometimes, but boy, even when they're crazy, what fun they are to be around." With each description his face would light up. The way he spoke and his verbal illustrations were hitting me with